Notre Dame Des Victoires

Church in Quebec. The corner-stone was laid

May 1, 1688, Bishop Laval officiating. The building was completed the

following year. In 1690 the name was changed to Notre Dame de la

Victoire, to commemorate the repulse of Phipps. In 1711 the name was

again changed, to its present form, to mark the second deliverance of

the city from the English fleet under Walker. The church was destroyed

in the siege of 1759; restored in 1765; and the interior completed in

1817. =Index=: (Bishop Laval era) Church of, 185. =Bib.=: Doughty, Cradle of New