Established at Kingston, Ontario. Founded in 1839,
and incorporated by royal charter in 1841. The first principal was Rev.
Thomas Liddell; succeeded by Dr. John Machar, Dr. John Cook, Dr. Leitch,
Dr. Snodgrass. In 1877 Dr. George Monro Grant became principal, and it
was due mainly to his enthusiasm and splendid organizing ability that
the university reached its present high state of efficiency. On the
death of Dr. Grant, in 1902, he was succeeded by Dr. D.M. Gordon.