An Iroquoian town situated, in 1535, on Montreal Island.
The site is now covered by the city of Montreal. Cartier visited the
town in the year mentioned, and describes it as encircled by a triple
row of palisades, with galleries for the defenders. Within stood some
fifty large oblong lodges, each housing several families. In 1603, when
Champlain visited the place, nothing remained of the town, and Indians
of a different stock occupied the island. =Bib.=: Cartier, Bref recit,
etc.; Parkman, Pioneers of France; Fiske, New France and New