The Harbour Its Marine 1800-1814

On the 15th of May, 1800, Governor Hunter arrives again in York Harbour.

The Gazette of Saturday, the 17th, 1800, announces that "on Thursday

evening last (May 15th), his Excellency Peter Hunter, Esq.,

Lieutenant-Governor and Commander-in-Chief of this Province, arrived in

our harbour on board the Toronto; and on Friday morning about 9

o'clock landed at the Garrison, where he is at present to reside." On

May 16th in th
following year Governor Hunter arrives again in the

Toronto, from Quebec. "Arrived this morning, Saturday, May 16th,

1801," says the Gazette, "on board the Toronto, Captain Earl, his

Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor, his Aide-de-Camp and Secretary, from

Quebec. We hear," continues the Gazette, "that his Excellency has

ordered the Parliament to meet on the 28th instant for the actual

despatch of business."

In the Gazette of Aug. 29th, in this year (1801), we have the

appointment of Mr. Allan to the collectorship for the harbour of York.

Thus runs the announcement: "To the Public.--His Excellency the

Lieutenant-Governor has been pleased to appoint the subscriber Collector

of Duties at this Port, for the Home District: as likewise Inspector of

Pot and Pearl Ashes and Flour. Notice is hereby given that the Custom

House for entry will be held at my store-house at the water's edge, and

that I will attend accordingly, agreeably to the Act. W. Allan, York,

25th Aug., 1801."

In this year, it is noted in the Niagara Herald (Nov. 18th, 1801), the

people of Niagara saw for the first time flying from Fort George the

British Flag, as blazoned after the recent union of Great Britain and

Ireland. "On Tuesday, the 17th instant, at 12 o'clock," the Herald

says, "we were most agreeably entertained with a display from Fort

George, for the first time, of the flag of the United Kingdom. The wind

being in a favourable point, it unfurled to the greatest advantage to a

view from the town. Its size, we apprehend, will subject it to injury in

the high winds that prevail here." It was possibly the Royal Standard.

In the following year, 1802, Governor Hunter arrives at York on the 14th

of May, and again in the Toronto. "It is with infinite pleasure,"

(such is the warm language of the Gazette of May 15th, 1802), "we

announce the arrival of his Excellency Peter Hunter, Esq.,

Lieutenant-Governor of this Province, and suite, in a very short passage

from Quebec. His Excellency arrived in the harbour late yesterday

evening (May 14), on board the Toronto, and landed at the Garrison at

9 o'clock. We understand he left Quebec the 27th ult." The officer in

command at York on the occasion of Governor Hunter's visit in 1802 was

Captain AEneas Macdonell. We have before us a note from him, dated York

Garrison, May 15th, to Lieut. Chiniquy at Fort George, in which he

speaks of this visit. "General Hunter appeared off this harbour," he

says, "at 4 o'clock yesterday, with a Jack at his main-top-mast head. A

guard of two sergeants, two corporals, and thirty men," Capt. Macdonell

continues, "was soon ready to receive him, which I had the honour to

command; but I had not the pleasure to salute him, as he could not land

before 9 o'clock last night." (At the close of his note, Capt. Macdonell

begs Mr. Chiniquy to send him over from Niagara some butter,--such a

luxury being, as we must suppose, difficult to be procured at York). "If

you will be good enough to take the trouble," Capt. Macdonell says, "to

procure me a few pounds of butter and send it over, I will willingly

take the same trouble for you when in my power."

In the Gazette of the preceding April a boat is advertised as about to

make trips between York and the Head of the Lake. This is the

advertisement: "The subscriber will run a boat from York to the Head of

the Lake once a week. The first departure will be from York the 31st

instant (on Wednesday), and from the Head of the Lake on Saturday, every

week. Any commands left with Messrs. Miles and Playter, and Mr. Beaman

at York, and at the Government House, Mr. Bates; and Richard Beasly,

Esq., at the Head of the Lake, will be attended to with confidence and

despatch. Levi Willard, York, 30th March, 1802."

So early as Jan. 18, in this year (1802), the following notice appeared

in the Niagara Herald;--"The sloop Mary Ann will sail from this town

(Niagara) on first favourable day."--In August of this year a young

Scotchman falls from the sloop and is drowned. The Niagara Herald of

Aug. 21, 1802, notes the incident:--"On Monday last, James McQueen, a

native of Scotland, aged about 20, fell from the Mary Ann and was

drowned. The vessel being under sail, with wind and current in her

favour, could not put about in the very short time he remained above

water."--In 1802, "Skinner's Sloop" was plying occasionally between York

and Niagara. We have a letter before us from Capt. AEneas Macdonell to

Ensign Chiniquy, dated York Garrison, 28th March, 1802, acknowledging a

budget of news received by "Skinner's Sloop."

In 1803, on the 13th of May, the arrival at York of a Government vessel

named the Duke of Kent, with troops, is announced in the Gazette.

"This morning arrived at the Garrison the Duke of Kent from Kingston,

having on board a detachment of His Majesty's 49th regiment, which is to

do duty here in place of the 41st regiment, ordered to Lower Canada."

This same vessel arrives again in the harbour on the 27th of the

following July. She now has on board "The Right Reverend Jacob, Lord

Bishop of Quebec."--"On Thursday, the 27th," says the Gazette of the

29th of July, 1803, "arrived here (York), the Duke of Kent, having on

board the Right Reverend Jacob, Lord Bishop of Quebec. We understand,"

the Gazette adds, "his Lordship intended first to visit Detroit, but,

owing to contrary winds, was necessitated to postpone his journey. His

Lordship will leave town for Niagara shortly after the Confirmation,

which will immediately take place."

We hear of casualties on the Lake towards the close of the year. We read

in the Gazette of Nov. 16, that "it is currently reported, and we are

sorry to add with every appearance of foundation, that the sloop Lady

Washington, commanded by Capt. Murray, was lately lost in a gale of

wind near Oswego, on her passage to Niagara. Pieces of the wreck, and

her boat, by which she was recognized, together with several other

articles, are said to have been picked up. It is yet uncertain," the

Gazette says, "whether the crew and passengers are saved; among the

latter were Messrs. Dunn and Boyd, of Niagara."--Again: the Gazette of

Dec. 10, 1803, reports that "a gentleman from Oswego, by the name of

Mr. Dunlop, was on Wednesday last accidentally knocked from on board a

vessel near the Highlands by the gibbing of the boom, and unfortunately


The disappointment occasioned to merchants sometimes by the uncertainty

of communication between York and the outer world in the stormy season,

may be conceived of from a postscript to an advertisement of Mr. Quetton

St. George's in the Gazette of Dec. 10, 1803. It says: "Mr. St. George

is very sorry, on account of his customers, that he has not received his

East India Goods and Groceries: he is sure they are at Oswego; and

should they not arrive this season, they may be looked for early in the

spring." It was tantalizing to suppose they were so near York as Oswego,

and yet could not be had until the spring.

The principal incident connected with the marine of the harbour of York

in 1804 was the loss of the Speedy. We give the contemporary account

of the disaster from the Gazette of Saturday, Nov. 3, 1804.

"The following," the Gazette says, "is as accurate an account of the

loss of the schooner Speedy, in His Majesty's service on Lake Ontario,

as we have been able to collect. The Speedy, Capt. Paxton, left this

port (York) on Sunday evening, the 7th of October last, with a moderate

breeze from the north-west, for Presqu'isle, and was descried off that

island on the Monday following before dark, where preparations were made

for the reception of the passengers, but the wind coming round from the

north-east, blew with such violence as to render it impossible for her

to enter the harbour; and very shortly after she disappeared. A large

fire was then kindled on shore as a guide to the vessel during the

night; but she has not since been seen or heard of; and it is with the

most painful sensations we have to say, we fear is totally lost.

Inquiry, we understand, has been made at almost every port of the Lake,

but without effect; and no intelligence respecting the fate of this

unfortunate vessel could be obtained. It is, therefore, generally

concluded that she has either upset or foundered. It is also reported by

respectable authority that several articles, such as the compass-box,

hencoop and mast, known to have belonged to this vessel, have been

picked up on the opposite side of the Lake.--The passengers on board the

ill-fated Speedy, as near as we can recollect," the narrative goes on

to say, "were Mr. Justice Cochrane; Robert J. D. Gray, Esq.,

Solicitor-General, and Member of the House of Assembly; Angus Macdonell,

Esq., Advocate, Member of the House of Assembly; Mr. Jacob Herchmer,

Merchant; Mr. John Stegman, Surveyor; Mr. George Cowan, Indian

Interpreter; James Ruggles, Esq.; Mr. Anderson, Student in the Law; Mr.

John Fisk, High Constable, all of this place. The above named gentlemen

were proceeding to the District of Newcastle, in order to hold the

Circuit, and for the trial of an Indian (also on board the Speedy)

indicted for the murder of John Sharp, late of the Queen's Rangers. It

is also reported, but we cannot vouch for its authenticity, that

exclusive of the above passengers, there were on board two other

persons, one in the service of Mr. Justice Cochrane, and the other in

that of the Solicitor-General; as also two children of parents whose

indigent circumstances necessitated them to travel by land. The crew of

the Speedy, it is said, consisted of five seamen (three of whom have

left large families) exclusive of Captain Paxton, who also had a very

large family. The total number of souls on board the Speedy is

computed to be about twenty. A more distressing and melancholy event has

not occurred to this place for many years; nor does it often happen that

such a number of persons of respectability are collected in the same

vessel. Not less than nine widows, and we know not how many children,

have to lament the loss of their husbands and fathers, who, alas, have,

perhaps in the course of a few minutes, met with a watery grave. It is

somewhat remarkable," the Gazette then observes, "that this is the

third or fourth accident of a similar nature within these few years, the

cause of which appears worthy the attention and investigation of persons

conversant in the art of ship-building."

Two of the disasters to vessels probably alluded to by the Gazette

were noted above. In 1802 the Lady Washington, Captain Murray,

foundered in the Lake, leaving scarcely a trace. And three years

previously, the York, in command of the same Captain Murray, was lost

at the point known as the Devil's Nose, not far from the entrance to the

River Genesee. And again, some years earlier, in 1780, before the

organization of the Province of Upper Canada, the Ontario, Capt.

Andrews, carrying twenty-two guns, went down with all on board, while

conveying troops, a detachment of the King's Own, under Col. Burton,

from Niagara to Oswego. One hundred and seventy-two persons perished on

this occasion, Capt. Andrews was, at the time, First Commissioner of the

Dock Yard at Kingston, and Commodore of the small flotilla maintained

on the Lake, chiefly for transport service. (For several of these

particulars we are indebted to Capt. Andrews' grandson, the Rev. Saltern


As to the apparent fragility of the government vessels, on which the

Gazette remarks, the use of timber insufficiently seasoned may have

had something to do with it. The French Duke de Liancourt, in 1795,

observed that all the vessels which he saw at Niagara were built of

timber fresh cut down and not seasoned; and that, for that reason, "they

never lasted longer than six or eight years. To preserve them for even

this length of time," he says, "requires a thorough repair: they must be

heaved down and caulked, which costs, at least, from one thousand to one

thousand two hundred guineas. The timbers of the Mississaga," he says,

"which was built three years ago, are almost all rotten."

A particular account of the homicide for which the Indian prisoner, lost

in the Speedy, was about to be tried, and of his arrest, is given in a

subdivision of one of our chapters, entitled "Some Memories of the Old

Court House."

Of the perils encountered by early navigators of Lake Ontario we have an

additional specimen furnished us by the Gazette of Sept. 8th, 1804.

That paper reports as follows: "Capt Moore's sloop, which sailed from

Sackett's Harbour on the 14th July for Kingston with a load of pot and

pearl ashes, struck on Long Point near Kingston in a gale of wind; and

having on board a number of passengers, men, women, and children, he was

under the necessity of throwing over forty-eight barrels of ashes in

order to lighten the vessel." It is then briefly added: "She arrived at


We hear of the Toronto Yacht in 1805, casually. A boat puts off from

her to the rescue of some persons in danger of drowning, near the

Garrison at York, in November of that year. "On Sunday last, the 10th,"

says the Gazette of Nov. 16th, 1805, "a boat from the River Credit for

this place (York), containing four persons, and laden with salmon and

country produce, overset near the Garrison, at the entrance of this

harbour; and notwithstanding the most prompt assistance rendered by a

boat from the Toronto Yacht, we are sorry to add that one person was

unfortunately drowned, and a considerable part of the cargo lost." At

this date, the Toronto Yacht was under the command of Capt. Earl.

In December, 1805, a member of the Kendrick family of York was lost in

a vessel wrecked on the New York side of the Lake. "We understand," says

the Gazette of Feb. 15th, 1806, "that a boat, sometime in December

last, going from Oswego to Sandy Creek, was lost near the mouth of

Salmon river, and four persons drowned. One of the bodies, and the

articles contained in the boat, were driven ashore; the remainder, it is

supposed, were buried in the sand. The persons who perished were--John

McBride (found), John Kendrick of this place (York), Alexander Miller

and Jessamin Montgomery."--In November of this year (1805), Miss Sarah

Kendrick was married. It will be observed that her taste, like that of

her brothers, of whom more hereafter, lay in a nautical direction.

"Married, on Tuesday, the 12th inst., by licence," records the

Gazette, "Jesse Goodwin, mariner, to Miss Sarah Kendrick." (This is

the Goodwin from whom the small stream which ran into York Bay at its

eastern extremity used to be called--Goodwin's Creek.)

In the Gazette of Oct 11th, 1806, it is noted that Governor Gore

crossed from York to Niagara in little more than four hours. The vessel

is not named. Probably it was the Toronto Yacht.

In 1807, Governor Gore crossed from York to Niagara to hold a levee, on

the King's birthday. The vessel that conveyed him again is not named.

The following notice appears in the Gazette of May 16th, 1807:

"Government House, York, 16th May, 1807. The Lieut.-Governor will hold a

levee at the Commanding Officer's Quarters at Niagara, at 2 o'clock on

Tuesday, the 4th of June. Wm. Halton, Secretary." Then follows a second

notice: "Government House, York, 16th May, 1807. There will be a Ball

and Supper at the Council House, Niagara, on his Majesty's Birthday, for

such ladies and gentlemen as have been presented to the Lieut.-Governor

and Mrs. Gore. Wm. Halton, Secretary."

An accident to the Toronto Yacht is reported in the Gazette of Oct.

17th, 1807. That paper says: "The Toronto Yacht, in attempting her

passage across on Wednesday or Thursday last, met with an accident that

obliged her to put back to Niagara, which port, we understand, she

reached with difficulty."

The Gazette of October 31st, 1807, speaks of the inconveniences to

itself, arising from the irregularity in the communication between York

and Niagara. "The communication with Niagara by water," it says, "from

being irregular lately, has prevented us receiving our papers this week.

The Indian Express," the Gazette then adds, "having commenced its

regular weekly route, our publishing day will be changed to Wednesday.

We have nothing of moment or interest. Should anything occur we will

give an extra sheet." On the 18th of November the Gazette appears

printed on blue paper, such as used to be seen on the outside of

pamphlets and magazines. An apology is offered. "We have to apologize to

our readers for the necessity of publishing this week on an inferior

quality of paper, owing to the non-arrival of our expected supply." The

same kind of paper is used in a succession of numbers. It is curious to

observe that the effect of time has been to produce less disfigurement

in the bright appearance of the pages and print of the blue numbers of

the Gazette, than in the ordinary white paper numbers, which have now

assumed a very coarse, dingy, inferior aspect.

In 1808 the important announcement is made in the Gazette of March

16th, that a lighthouse is about to be immediately established on

Gibraltar Point, at the entrance of York Harbour. "It is with pleasure

we inform the public," the Gazette says, "that the dangers to vessels

navigating Lake Ontario will in a great measure be avoided by the

erection of a Lighthouse on Gibraltar Point, which is to be immediately

completed, in compliance with an Address of the House of Assembly to the


We have understood that a lighthouse was begun at the point of York

peninsula before the close of the last century; that the Mohawk was

employed in bringing over stone for the purpose, from Queenston; and

that Mr. John Thompson, still living in 1873, was engaged in the actual

erection of the building. It was perhaps then begun. In 1803 an Act was

passed by the Provincial Legislature for the establishment of

lighthouses "on the south-westernmost point of a certain island called

Isle Forest, situated about three leagues from the town of Kingston, in

the Midland District; another upon Mississaga point, at the entrance of

the Niagara river, near to the town of Niagara; and the other upon

Gibraltar point." It was probably not practicable to carry the Act fully

into effect before 1806. According to the Act a fund for the erection

and maintenance of such lighthouses was to be formed by levying

three-pence per ton on every vessel, boat, raft, or other craft of ten

tons burthen and upwards, doubling the point named, inward bound. That

lighthouse duty should be levied at ports where there was no lighthouse,

became a grievance; and in 1818 it was enacted that "no vessel, boat,

raft or other craft of the burthen of ten tons and upwards shall be

liable to pay any Lighthouse Duty at any port where there shall be no

lighthouse erected, any law or usage to the contrary notwithstanding."

Mr. Cartwright (Judge Cartwright) built in 1808 two vessels on

Mississaga Point at the mouth of the Cataraqui, one for himself, the

Elizabeth; the other for the North-West Company, the Governor

Simcoe. The North-West Company had previously a vessel on the lake

called the Simcoe, which was now worn out.

In June, 1808, Governor Gore departs from York for a tour in the western

part of the Province. The Gazette seems mildly to rebuke him for

having swerved from his first design in regard to this tour. He had

intended to proceed via Lake Huron; that is, by the Yonge Street

route, but he had finally preferred to go via Lake Ontario. "His

Excellency the Lieut.-Governor left this place, York," the Gazette

announces, "on the 15th instant, on a visit to Sandwich, etc. We are

sorry," the editor then ventures to observe, "that he did not, as he

originally destined, proceed by Lake Huron, according to his amiable

intention and view of promoting the first interests of this province."

In the Gazette of October 22nd, in this year, we hear once more of the

Toronto Yacht.--Governor Gore has returned to York in safety, and has

left again for Niagara in the Toronto. "On the 17th instant," the

above-named Gazette reports, "his Excellency the Lieut.-Governor and

Major Halton sailed for Niagara in the Toronto Yacht. It was his

Excellency's intention to have gone there on Monday last." The Gazette

says: "He embarked for the purpose, and received an honorary salute from

the Garrison. Excessive gales and a succession of violent head winds

delayed his proceeding until Thursday morning." (He returned in the

Toronto on Tuesday, the 6th of November.)

On the 14th of December in this year, the editor of the Gazette again

announces a change in the day of publication, in consequence of the

suspension of water communication between York and Niagara. "The

suspension of our water communication with Niagara at the present season

obliges us to alter the day of publication, which will now be on

Wednesday. John Cameron."

A postal notice issued in the Gazette of Jan. 4th, in the following

year, 1809, is interesting now. It reads thus: "For General Information.

The winter mail will be despatched from Quebec for Upper Canada on the

following days: Monday, 2nd Jan., 1809: do. 6th Feb.: do. 6th March: do.

3rd April. Each mail may be looked for here (York) from 16 to 18 days

after the above periods. The Carrier from Kingston (the Indian Express

probably of which we have heard already) is to go on to Niagara without

making any stay (unless found necessary) at this place; so that all

persons will have time to prepare their letters by the time he returns

from Kingston again. W. Allan, Deputy P. M., York, 2nd Jan. 1809." The

mail between Montreal and Kingston was carried on the back of one

Anderson. Between these two places the postage was nine-pence.

Between 1809 and 1812 we do not light upon many notices of vessels

frequenting York Harbour. In 1810, a schooner called the Lady Gore or

the Bella Gore, commanded by Captain Sanders, and plying to Kingston,

was a well known vessel. (It may be noted that in 1811 Governor Gore

left York for England, on leave of absence, and was away during the four

eventful years that followed.) In 1812, and previously, a sloop

commanded by Captain Conn was running between York and Niagara. From

some peculiarity in her contour, she was popularly spoken of as "Captain

Conn's Coffin." Another sloop, commanded by Captain Grace, was plying

between York, Niagara and Kingston about the same time.

The Government vessels with whose names we have become familiar were now

either unseaworthy or wrecked. The Mohawk, the Onondaga, the

Caldwell, the Sophia, the Buffalo, are no longer heard of as

passing in and out of the harbour of York. It had been the fate of the

Toronto Yacht, while under the command of Capt. Fish, to run on the

sands at Gibraltar Point through a mistake as to the position of the

light. Her skeleton was long a conspicuous object, visited by ramblers

on the Island. This incident occurred just before the outbreak of the


Most of the vessels which had been engaged in the ordinary traffic of

the Lake were, during the war, employed by the government in the

transport service. Captain Murney's vessel, the Prince Edward, built,

as we have already heard, wholly of red cedar, and still in good order

in 1812, was thus employed.

In the fleet on Lake Ontario in 1812-14 new names prevail. Not one of

the old titles is repeated. Some changes made in the nomenclature of

vessels during the contest have created confusion in regard to

particular ships. In several instances which we shall specify

immediately, in the following list, two names indicate the same vessel

at different periods of the war. The Prince Regent, the commodore's

ship, (Capt. Earl), the Princess Charlotte, the Montreal, the

Wolfe, the Sir Sidney Smith, the Niagara, the Royal George, the

Melville, the Star, the Moira, the Cherwell, the Gloucester

(Capt. Gouvereau), the Magnet, the Netley, the St. Lawrence; and

the gunboats Cleopatra, Lais, Ninon, Nelly, Regent,

Thunderer, Wellington, Retaliation, Black Snake, Prescott,

Dreadnought. In this list the Wolfe and the Montreal are the same

vessels; as also are the Royal George and the Niagara; the

Melville and the Star; the Prince Regent and the Netley; the

Moira and the Cherwell; the Montreal and the Wolfe; the Magnet

and the Sir Sidney Smith.

The Moira was lying off the Garrison at York when the Simcoe

transport came in sight filled with prisoners taken on Queenston

Heights, and bringing the first intelligence of the death of General

Brock. We have heard the Rev. Dr. Richardson of Toronto, who at the time

was Sailing Master of the Moira, under Captain Sampson, describe the

scene.--The approaching schooner was recognized at a distance as the

Simcoe: it was a vessel owned and commanded, at the moment, by Dr.

Richardson's father, Captain James Richardson. Mr. Richardson

accordingly speedily put off in a boat from the Moira, to learn the

news. He was first startled at the crowded appearance of the Simcoe's

deck, and at the unwonted guise of his father, who came to the gangway

conspicuously girt with a sword. 'A great battle had been fought,' he

was told, 'on Queenston Heights. The enemy had been beaten. The Simcoe

was full of prisoners of war, to be transferred instanter to the Moira

for conveyance to Kingston. General Brock was killed!'--Elated with the

first portion of the news, Dr. Richardson spoke of the thrill of dismay

which followed the closing announcement as something indescribable and

never to be forgotten.

Among the prisoners on board the Simcoe was Winfield Scott, an

artillery officer, afterwards the distinguished General Scott. He was

not taken to Kingston, but, with others, released on parole.

The year following (1813), York Harbour was visited by the United States

fleet, consisting of sixteen vessels. The result other pages will tell.

It has been again and again implied in these papers. The government

vessel named the Prince Regent narrowly escaped capture. She had left

the port only a few days before the arrival of the enemy. The frames of

two ships on the stocks were destroyed, but not by the Americans. At the

command of General Sheaffe, they were fired by the royal troops when

beginning the retreat in the direction of Kingston. A schooner, the

Governor Hunter, belonging to Joseph Kendrick, was caught in the

harbour and destroyed; but as we have understood, the American commander

paid a sum of money to the owner by way of compensation.--At the taking

of York, Captain Sanders, whom we have seen in command of the Bella

Gore, was killed. He was put in charge of the dockyardmen who were

organized as a part of the small force to be opposed to the invaders.

We can imagine a confused state of things at York in 1813. Nevertheless

the law asserts its supremacy. The magistrates in sessions fine a pilot

L2 15s. for refusing to fulfil his engagement with Mr. McIntosh. "On the

19th October, 1813, a complaint was made by Angus McIntosh, Esq., late

of Sandwich, now of York, merchant, against Jonathan Jordan, formerly of

the city of Montreal, a steersman in one of Angus McIntosh's boats, for

refusing to proceed with the said boat, and thereby endangering the

safety of the said boat. He is fined L2 15s. currency, to be deducted

from wages due by Angus McIntosh."

It was in May the following year (1814), that Mr. Richardson, while

Acting Master on board the Montreal (previously the Wolfe), lost his

left arm in Sir James Yeo's expedition against Oswego.--The place was

carried by storm. After describing the mode of attack and the gallantry

of the men, Sir James Yeo in his official despatch thus speaks in

particular of the Montreal: "Captain Popham, of the Montreal," he

says, "anchored his ship in a most gallant style; sustaining the whole

fire until we gained the shore. She was set on fire three times by

red-hot shot, and much cut up in her hull, masts and rigging. Captain

Popham," he then proceeds to say, "received a severe wound in his right

hand; and speaks in high terms of Mr. Richardson, the Master, who from a

severe wound in the left arm, was obliged to undergo amputation at the

shoulder joint."

The grievous mutilation thus suffered did not cause Mr. Richardson to

retire from active service. Immediately on his recovery he was, at his

own desire, appointed to a post of professional duty in the fleet. In

October, when the great hundred-gun ship, the St. Lawrence, was

launched at Kingston, he was taken by Sir James Yeo on board that

vessel, his familiarity with the coasts of the Lake rendering his

services in the capacity of Acting Pilot of great value.

In the record of disbursements made by the Loyal and Patriotic Society

of Upper Canada in 1815, we have the sum of One Hundred Pounds allotted

on the 22nd of April to "Mr. James Richardson, of the Midland District,"

with the following note appended: "This gentleman was first in the

Provincial Navy, and behaved well: he then became Principal Pilot of the

Royal Fleet, and by his modesty and uncommon good conduct gained the

esteem of all of the officers of the Navy. He lost his arm at the taking

of Oswego, and as he was not a commissioned officer, there was no

allowance for his wounds. The Society, informed of this and in

consideration of his services, requested his acceptance of L100."

By a curious transition, instances of which are now and then afforded in

the history of individuals in every profession, Mr. Richardson became in

after years an eminent minister in the Methodist Society; and at the age

of 82 was known and honoured far and wide throughout Upper Canada as the

indefatigable bishop or chief superintendent of that section of the

Methodist body which is distinguished by the prefix Episcopal.

In 1814 it would appear that Commodore Chauncey and his fleet were no

longer dominating the north shore. The Netley, formerly the Prince

Regent, is mentioned as being again in the harbour of York. On the 24th

of July she took over Lieut.-General and President Drummond, when on his

way to support General Rial at Lundy's Lane. "I embarked," General

Drummond says in his despatch to Sir George Prevost describing the

engagement at Lundy's Lane; "I embarked on board His Majesty's schooner

Netley, at York, on Sunday evening, the 24th instant (July), and

reached Niagara at daybreak the following morning." He then pushed on

from Niagara to Lundy's Lane with 800 rank and file, and was the

undoubted means of preventing a hard-contested fight from ending in a


On the 24th of December in this year the Treaty of Ghent was signed, by

which, to adopt its own language, "a firm and universal peace was

re-established between His Britannic Majesty and the United States, and

between their respective countries, territories, cities, towns and

people of every degree, without exception of persons or places."