Projected in 1797, and chartered, 1827, as King's
College, mainly through the efforts of Bishop Strachan. The charter was
amended in 1837, as the result of an agitation against its theological
bias. In 1850 the university was completely secularized; and in 1853 the
institution received its present name. In 1887 the charter was again
amended. Victoria, Knox, St. Michaels, and Wycliffe colleges were
affiliated with the university in that year; and Trinity in 1903.
Further changes were made in the government of the university in 1906.