The first mention of the island is in Cartier's narrative

of his first voyage, 1534. The following year he again visited the

island, which he named Isle de l'Assomption. On the origin of the

present Indian name, see W. F. Ganong's note, Royal Society Trans.,

1889, II, 51. Placed under jurisdiction of Newfoundland in 1763;

transferred to Canada, 1774. =Bib.=: Huard, Labrador et Anticosti;

Guay, Lettres sur l'ile Anticosti; Schmitt, Monographie de l'ile

d'Anticosti; Lewis, Menier and his Island.

Antell Apprenticeship System Of facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail