Canadian History Dictionary Gore Sir Francis 1769-1852 Served In The Army Lieutenant-governor
of Bermuda, 1804; lieutenant-governor of Upper Canada, 1806-181...
St George Sir Thomas Bligh 1765-1837 Born In England Entered The
army and rose to the rank of major-general, 1819. Came to Canad...
Pope Joseph 1854- Eldest Son Of William Henry Pope Qv
Private secretary to Sir John A. Macdonald, 1882-1891; under-se...
Index : Lord Dorchester Era In Command Of Militia In 1777 187
(Bishop Laval era) Church at Quebec placed under patronage of,
(General Brock era) Corps raised and commanded by Colonel de Sa...
(Sir James Douglas era) Sails for North-West Coast with Colnett...
Foley M H
(George Brown Era) In Tache ministry, 1864, 149; retires with B...
Fort St Joseph
(General Brock era) Stores despatched to, 202.
Chartier De Lotbiniere Eustache Gaspard Michel
(Lord Dorchester era) Advised in
connection with question of C...
(Sir James Douglas era) Sent out from England, 1856, by Church ...
(Sir Frederick Haldimand era) Editor of Mesplet's publications,...
Boulton Henry John
Son of D'Arcy Boulton; born in England, 1790.
Studied law and ...
Index : Wilmot Era Abolishes Second Chamber 71 See Also Upper Canada New
Ontario. =Bib.=: Dent, Last Forty Years; Smith, Geographical Vi...
Head Sir Francis Bond 1793-1875 Served In Royal Engineers At
Waterloo; travelled in South America, 1825-1826; appointed
Gugy Conrad 1730-1786 Born At The Hague Son Of A Swiss Officer In
the Dutch service. Educated for the engineers; disposed of his
Don De Dieu
(Samuel de Champlain era) Name of vessel in which Champlain sai...
Index : Tilley Era Surveyor-general In Smith Government 91 Adds No Strength
to the government, 92; represents Westmoreland, 115. =Bib.=: Ro...
Le Caron Joseph
(Samuel de Champlain era) Recollet missionary, 85; goes to coun...
(General Brock era) Raised in Canada during war with Napoleon, ...
Lake Of The Woods
On the international boundary, west of Lake
Superior. Probably discovered by Jacques De Noyon, about the year 1688.
Fort St. Charles was built by La Verendrye, on the western shore of the
lake, in 1732. His son Jean, with the Jesuit missionary Aulneau, and a
number of voyageurs, were murdered by the Sioux on an island in the
lake, in 1736. In addition to its present name, which is a translation
of the name given it by the French, Lac des Bois, it has also borne
several other names, Lac des Sioux, Lac des Isles, Lake of the
Next: Lalemant Charles
Previous: Lake George