Canadian History Dictionary Godefroy Thomas
(Samuel de Champlain era) Interpreter, 144.
La Terriere Pierre De Sales
Came to Canada from France, 1766;
appointed agent at Quebec fo...
(Samuel de Champlain era) Priest of De Monts's expedition, at S...
(General Brock era) Flag of Fort Niagara transferred to, 56; it...
(Wolfe / Montcalm era) On Wabash River, 22.
(Lord Sydenham era) Permanent provision for, considered necessa...
(John Graves Simcoe era) Baptist deacon, teaches school at Port...
(Wilmot era) Resigns from New Brunswick government, 72, 116.
(Tilley era) Attorney-general, New Brunswick, appointed to
Mcgill James 1744-1813 Born In Glasgow Scotland Emigrated To
Canada. For some years engaged in the western fur trade; and in...
(Count Frontenac era) French engineer, prepares plans for defen...
La Place Jacques De
(Samuel de Champlain era) Jesuit missionary at Miscou, 234.
(George Brown Era) Organized by Sir John A. Macdonald, out of o...
La Riborde Gabriel De
Recollet missionary; arrived from France in
1670, and sent to ...
(John Graves Simcoe era) In Upper Canada, independent of the go...
Fer Jules De
(Lord Dorchester era) His report on loyalty of French-Canadians...
Lindsay W B
(Lord Sydenham era) Made clerk of Legislative Assembly, 334.
Sydney Thomas Townshend First Viscount 1733-1800 Entered
Parliament, 1754; lord of the treasury, 1765; war secretary, 18...
Chapleau Sir Joseph Adolphe 1840-1898 Studied Law And Called To
the bar, 1861. Elected to Quebec Legislature, 1867, and success...
(Bishop Laval era) French vessel, 219. (Count Frontenac era) Fr...
Near western end of Lake Superior, about twenty miles
south of Fort William. As in the case of so many other historic Canadian
places, it is impossible to say who was the first white man to stand
upon this famous centre of the fur trade. Radisson came this way in
1662; Du Lhut in 1678; Noyon in 1688; La Nouee in 1717; but there is no
evidence that any of the four were actually at Grand Portage. It is
first mentioned in a memoir by Pachot, 1722; and the earliest
authenticated visit to the spot is that of La Verendrye, 1731. From that
time it grew steadily in importance until finally abandoned, 1801, in
favour of Fort William. The name was applied both to the trading-post on
the shore of Lake Superior, and to the portage thence to the Pigeon
River. =Index=: (Mackenzie / Selkirk / Simpson era) Described, 13; the portage, 13; as it is to-day,
13; in Mackenzie's day, 14; Mackenzie at, 54. =Bib.=: Mackenzie,
History of Fur Trade in his Voyages; Henry-Thompson Journals, ed.
by Coues; Henry, Travels and Adventures; Carver, Travels; Masson,
Bourgeois de la Compagnie du Nord-Ouest; Bryce, Hudson's Bay
Company; Burpee, Search for the Western Sea.
Next: Grand Pre
Previous: Grand Jury